Monday, November 16, 2009

Artos: Greek Celebration Bread

Artos is a Greek celebration bread, made in a variety of ways, with lots spices, a touch of honey for sweetness, and adding nuts and fruits, depending on the holiday. Christopsomo, usually baked at Christmas, may have dried cranberries, cherries, and walnuts. Lambropsomos is baked for Easter and may have dried apricots, golden raisins, and nuts; it is formed in the shape of a braid, and may have dyed red eggs baked into the loaf.

I didn’t get too fancy with making this; or, actually, I thought just the basic recipe was going to be fancy enough. The aroma from the dough while making it was totally heavenly. The spices and almond swirling around in the mixer …. mmmmm.

I made 3 loaves. I hadn’t planned on it but I made the entire poolish recipe so I had enough to make 3 loaves. I gave 2 of them away.

So here’s the poolish:


And the first proof:


And the final product:







Text message from my friend, Linda: OMG, it's fantastic. Sweet touch of spice. I like it.

Yes, that's it: Sweet Touch of Spice!

Next adventure: Bagels.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i genuinely adore your posting choice, very remarkable.
don't give up as well as keep creating mainly because it just simply well worth to follow it,
excited to look into much of your posts, stunning day :)